Maggie might be a purebred Shiba Inu! I totally forgot to post the results of Maggie's DNA analysis back in June. Oops. The real reason why I forgot was because I was disappointed by the result. According to the company, this is how they determine each 'level' and make an analysis:
- Level 1: Over 75% of the DNA found in your dog is from the breed listed.
Note: Most mixed breed dogs will not show any breeds listed under Level 1 unless the dog has a purebred parent.
- Level 2: Each breed listed represents between 37-74% of your dog's DNA.
- Level 3: Each breed listed represents between 20-36% of your dog's DNA.
- Level 4: Each breed listed represents between 10-19% of your dog's DNA.
- Level 5: Each breed listed represents less than 10% of your dog's DNA.
Level 2: Chow Chow - I can understand because they are an ancient breed like Shiba and can be traced back to Asia.
Level 3: Nonexistent. I don't know why, but there must be breeds in this percentage range similar to Maggie!
Level 4: Greyhound. Really? I guess at this level ALL dogs are related to each other.
Level 4: Labrador Retriever. Hmmm. (why two level 4s?)
Level 5: Akita - This I can agree with. They are close cousins traced back to ancient Japan, but why all the way on level 5?
Level 5: Cocker Spaniel. (another level 5?)
Anyway, I was less than impressed by these results. This could mean she may be a purebreed, but not for 100% sure. I just wanted to find out if she had any other breed in her. I doubt she's part Chow though... tell me something I don't know!