Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homemade Dog Food

Lately I have been thinking of ways to make meal time a little more interesting for Maggie. Being a Shiba, she seems to get bored easily. I usually feed her kibble in the morning and raw at night. She seems to be doing very well on this diet, but she always has this look on her face like, "Is that it?"

Today I decided to make some home made treats. She usually gets dry, crunchy things like cheese biscuits and jerky-type snacks. I found many dog biscuit recipes online but they all call for flour and some kind of oil, both of which dogs do not need in their diet. I decided to concoct my own recipe with ingredients at hand.

I took some freeze-dried chicken giblets and dried cheese and ground them to a relatively fine powder in the food processor. To that I mixed about a 1/4 c. of Sojos (dehydrated vegetable mix), an egg, a bit of water and a bit of soy powder. And then I just formed them into little discs and baked them off for about 15 min. Voila!


The consistency turned out to be not like a cookie or biscuit, but rather a hard, dense muffin. lol.
I'm not sure how particular dogs are about mouthfeel, but this treat is wheat-free, all-natural, high-protein, and probably delicious! You can add your own flavoring or supplements too, if your dog needs them.

Maggie practicing her "WAIT".
If you think about how short a dog's life is, you want your dog to enjoy life like the rest of us. Eating is definitely up there on the list of dog's life's pleasures. 
I will post more recipes as I (and Maggie) try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment